2010/09/27

Migrant Worker Cannot Pay Hospital, Doctor Suffers – digg china

From Tianya:

Last month, there was an migrant worker who fell down from upstairs and suffered multiple bruises and lacerations to his face. He went to many hospitals, but none of them would stitch him up. So he was transferred to our hospital. The patient only had 200 yuan with him, but I sutured him anyway. The suturing lasted 2 hours. He was treated through inpatient care after the surgery for more than 10 days, and the cost of his medical bills was 2,000 yuan. His boss was a relative, and he came to see the patient many times but he did not give him any money for hospital expenses. By the way, this patient appeared in the local newspaper by the second day he was in our hospital!

Later on, he owed the hospital 800 yuan. Three days ago, he snuck out of the hospital. The next day, I went to the construction site to look for him. I could not find him so I asked those who were are in charge of the construction site to help me find him. Today, I was told that there was no such person at that construction site. The patient probably lied to me, and was not from that construction site.

I was stunned at the moment. I looked up the patient’s hospital register form. The telephone number he provided was not a local number, and his address was: Guanzhuang Village, Xianhe, Xunyang County, Ankang, Shanxi Province. I called the number, and I was told there was no such person in the village.

While I was looking up the contact information from the internet, I realized that the Tiger Zhou incident had a connection to Xunyang County. I did not understand, could it be that people from this place all like to cheat people?

As a doctor, I had worked hard to stitch up his injuries in hopes of restoring him to his previous state. He himself was very satisfied with the outcome of the surgery. However, him running away without paying like this, what am I supposed to do?

There was another patient before him that did not pay, and the hospital had deducted 3 months salary from me. With this patient escaping, the hospital will continue to deduct my salary. I have been working for 3 years, but the amount of my savings is only several thousand RMB! Isn’t this a third level A class hospital? The Department of Surgery?

Sometimes I understand why Lu Xun gave up being a doctor.

The sickness of Chinese people can not be cured. Their disease is not of the bodies, but of their thinking!

Xunyang County of Shanxi Province, I bet this country is doomed to remain a poor county!

Lu Xun (1881-1936) is a well-known author in China. When he was studying medicine in Japan, he was angry to see some “soul-sick” Chinese people laughing with Japanese when the Japanese insulted Chinese. He gave up his dream of being a doctor, and began to write articles to “wake up China”.

Comments from Tianya:

A doctor cannot have too much sympathy.
Migrant workers indeed deserve our sympathy, but doctors also have old parents and young kids to feed.
At the time, why didn’t you think twice about why so many hospitals didn’t take him?
To cure people and save lives are indeed doctors’ duties, but doctors need to protect themselves and feed themselves first.
P.S.: Tianya BBS is a paradise for those who despise doctors. You might get viciously beaten [verbally abused] here.

Responding to the above comment, the original poster wrote:

I later thought the same thing: Why did so many hospitals not take him? Was this thing that happened to me a real version of “The Farmer and The Snake“?

This fu*king migrant worker really deserves to be beat up. His child is 17 years old. I said to the child again and again: Wash your father’s clothes, they are so dirty. More than 20 days later, his father was still wearing those same clothes.

I said I sympathize with him, that he was a migrant worker, that it was not easy coming here from Shan’xi to work, and earning money is tough. Other people use 0/5 thread for stitches on the face. I used 0/6 which can be absorbed by the skin just to stitch the cracked wound perfectly.

I spent over 2 hours, and he was very satisfied with the outcome of the surgery. How could he just run away? I didn’t charge him for taking out the stitches or reapplying medicine, just because I felt sympathy for him as a migrant worker. How could he just run away?

He said his boss was a relative. Kao! A relative would not pay several hundred kuai for him? What kind of dof fart relative is that? Head of a construction business, a millionaire, didn’t pay 800 kuai for him?? You flee without telling, and even deceived me! The name was fake, the address was fake, the work place was fake, how come your fu*king gender was not fake?

You just left, and you don’t have to worry about anything. However, the hospital is about to deduct my salary. The benefit I could gain from giving you treatment was 100 kuai, but I am left to pay 800 kuai! I say, you migrant worker from Guanzhuang Village, Xianhe, Xunyang County, Ankang, Shan’xi Province…you are fu*king disgusting!

There is nothing you can do. Migrant workers don’t have medical insurance.

Poor LZ. This is a apathetic society. Your sympathetic heart will eventually be destroyed by deception and betrayal. You will eventually become the iron-hearted “black doctor” that people attack. Just who do we blame for all of this?

Actually, do not look at him as a migrant worker, you are indeed the “farmer”! It’s not easy for them to make money, so money is more important than morality in their eyes. Even if you used a lot of energy/strength to heal him, he does not think of how you healed him, but rather how much money you have made from him.

I had the same dream of curing patients and saving lives when I just graduated. I too did not care about how much money I could make for myself. I too thought of how I could save money for patients as much as possible. But reality educated me again and again.

LZ is so sad that he has almost become Xianglinsao [Xianglinsao is a figure in the author Lu Xun's short novel "Blessings", she kept repeating her sad story again and again to people to get sympathy and attention]. Hehe. However, a good heart will eventually be rewarded. Maybe that migrant worker really did not have any money. He might feel guilty deep down in his heart. If he was reported by the local newspaper, why not use the media to find him?

In the future, without paying, even if they are dying, do not save them. About those “hookers” ["hookers" refers to "journalists" here, in Chinese, the first character for "hooker" sounds the same as the first character for "journalist"], do not worry about what they say/think. If they want to blame someone, blame the government for not having a perfect medical insurance system.

LZ is a victim of the social system. The medical system of China results in people’s resentment of hospitals and doctors. Most people can’t afford to be sick, because they can’t afford the medical bills. There are very few doctors like LZ who don’t overcharge for medical treatment. Most doctors are living a life of middle class by the “black hearted” money they make. Doctors are in a strong social position in China. So, even though you had lost 800 Yuan, not many people will give you their sympathy. All in all, it is due to an inefficient system. Civilians can’t afford to see doctors so they leave hospitals. Doctors with a good conscience can't make any money, and are forced to become “black hearted” doctors.

I had a similar experience. I did radiotherapy for a patient who has nasopharyngeal carcinoma. His family had some money, but during the earthquake all their houses collapsed. He kept promising that he would pay. So I started the radiotherapy, but he was not able to pay during the process. I thought the process had already started, and he deserved my sympathy as a victim of the earthquake (the earthquake just happened at the time). I signed for him to continue the radiotherapy process. Now the therapy is finished, and I called him to ask him to pay. At first he would answer the phone, but later on he didn’t. Alas, I learned my lesson. This is the medical care situation of China. I have pity on patients, but who have pity on me?

The migrant worker got his face hurt, you just did a suture for him, and you made him stay in the hospital and charged him 2,000+. Does any hospital still have humanity left nowadays? People who didn’t escape are pigs waiting for you guys to kill them~

In such a world, it is so difficult to be a good person!
That’s why Lu Xun gave up his career of a doctor to write articles to wake up Chinese!
To cure people can save their lives, but when people’s minds and thoughts are destroyed, no matter how hard you try to save them, there is no use!

I can tell right away LZ is a newbie. Now the rules are: no money, no medicine; not enough money, no arrangement for surgery; no payment, stop providing medicine. To those who wil not pay but still want treatment, we usually say our hospital is not good enough to give them treatment, and transfer them to the higher hospital.

I studied medicine. Five years undergraduate, three years graduate, paid incalculable tuition, fought my head off to get a job, every week working six and a half days, five yuan for a whole night shift, month salary 2,000+. I have parents, siblings, wife and kid to feed. Am I a masochist for studying medicine?

A patient said: “You doctors don’t have money? Doctors are all as black as coal.”

A hopeless nationality!!!

Relax, LZ~ I have been worked for fives year, and the total amount of my deducted salary is 12,000~~~~ In the future, just ignore patients even though they are on their knees to beg you (except the emergency case and dying case), unless the president of the hospital promises your salary won’t be deducted. Usually, at this point, the patient or his family would attack or threaten you with words like “doctors need to save the dying and cure the wound”, “morality of medicine”, “Why do you only know money? We won’t owe you anything”, “doctors only care about money, not patients”, “I am not that kind of people who try to get treatment without paying”, and etc. If your heart got soft, you just pray that God would pour some blessings and sympathy on you. Anyway, I had paid a lot for my lessons through the years. (If you keep your heart hard on them, the whole situation can be out of control. You need to do body-building often. If the patients’ family or morality holders/guardians attack you, don’t care about your clothes they are holding, take off your clothes and escape quickly! :)

Peasants are not nice and kind, they are very cunning. “Lou zhu,” just take it as if you paid for a lesson.

Brother, what had happened to you is nothing. One patient of mine owed 8,000 yuan, and escaped in a rainy night~ The hospital took care of me a little, they paid half for me, and deducted 4,000 from my salary. I worked for nothing for that month.

Poor Chinese doctors, poor Chinese migrant workers, poor you, poor Chinese people.

People are so apathetic and cold. I had some cases like this too. One was was a child, who was basically already blind. I performed the surgery for him, and the outcome of the surgery was very good. However, the father carried the kid and ran off in the middle of the night.
Another one was a guy who had very bad eye sight and also other diseases. Other hospitals were not confident enough to give treatment to him. This patient looked like he was a boss of a foreign company, talking big, and extremely stylish (he was almost 60).  After the treatment, he never showed up again. Later on we got to know that this guy was a swindler who had deceived a lot of people. One of his mistresses had come to the hospital to accompany him when he had the surgery. He conned the mistress out of thousands of RMB. Human sympathy and kindness, do we still have such things?
Of course, this is also a problem of the medical system. What a patient need to do to stay in the hospital to get treatment is to pay some deposit, but what about the payment after the treatment?Depends on people’s conscience. It is time for change. The medical system needs to be changed, so does the method of treating patients.

See Also:

No comments:

Post a Comment