2010/10/07

Hard Labor: Old Man Carries Goods On Back Up Mountain – digg china

old-chinese-man-porter-huashan-shaanxi-04

From NetEase:

I had an opportunity to go to Xiyue Huashan [Mount Hua in Shaanxi province], and while admiring the beautiful scenery, I discovered a group of laborious “tiaoshangong” [a porter? laborers who carry and transport goods with poles on their shoulders]. Amongst them was an old man who left me with an unforgettable memory. These photos were not taken very well. Everyone bear with me!

Huashan’s elevation is over 2000 meters, about 1500 meters from the foot of the mountain to the summit, and the road is precipitous and winding. The transportation of goods is handled by “tiaoshangong”. Their work is extremely laborious, carrying from the foot of the mountain to the highest South Peak, with each 1/2 kg’s price being only 3 mao [~0.04 USD]. Every morning at 6am they begin climbing the mountain, only returning to the foot of the mountain at 6pm at night. In order to survive, they have no choice but to do this.

This old man is already 72-years-old, his wife having died of heart disease many years ago, with no sons or daughters. His crops plagued by pests, his harvest is very little. He has no choice but to join “tiaoshangong” ranks. Other people can carry 35kg, but he can only carry 15kg, which means a laborious day is only 9 kuai.  While on the mountain, I saw him sitting there resting, and while descending the mountain, I also found him with many blisters on his right foot, hobbling down the mountain. I was unable to refuse my compassion and purchased for him a cable car ticket down the mountain.

He said, if only there was a meal to eat, he would not come do this!

old-chinese-man-porter-huashan-shaanxi-01

old-chinese-man-porter-huashan-shaanxi-02

old-chinese-man-porter-huashan-shaanxi-03

old-chinese-man-porter-huashan-shaanxi-05

Comments from NetEase:

chouzichen:

I salute the respected laborers!

xilijames:

There are too many things we cannot help in our lives.
We have no way of changing them
and also no power to change them.

mykunkun336:

Compared to other people, I think I am very blessed.

zk1970520:

There are still very many people with very difficult lives in our country, our country’s policies must consider them.

触摸社会屁股:

Sigh, I am paying close attention
but sometimes giving is not necessarily a good thing.

w1g3:

When I think of myself being over 70-years-old, I wonder what kind of situation I will be in? It is hard to predict how the world will change.

83697126:

Lou zhu has a good heart, but it would have been better to give him 50 yuan instead.

紫紫芊:

Such a difficult path to walk…isn’t 3 mao for carrying 1/2 kg for too little??

chinalinchua:

What does this show? It shows that there is a serious unequal distribution of social wealth in our country…
Look how more carefree than anyone else the elderly in cities live…then look at this old man…just because he is a peasant.
This is the reason why rural people would rather go beg than be peasants…of course I am included too…
Without those peasants, just see what your TMD Communist Party is going to eat…starve you to death…kao.

lnz001:

I too have gone to Huashan and seeing these “tiaoshangong” running around such a large mountain to make a livelihood, I also…in short, I felt very upset.

Comments on Mop:

afireant:

On one hand, it is an imperfect social security system.
On another hand, people these days no longer have the spirit of enduring hardships.
Actually I think it would have been better to give him money instead of letting him ride the cable car.
I remember Shaanxi Television also broadcast this kind of show, and everyone organized people to go to see that “tiaoshangong”, but I do not know what happened to him afterward.

Poor people, it is impossible to help them all. We do not need to help everyone all of the time, but we can sometimes help some people. But a precondition, do not encourage the greediness of some fake beggars.

小萝卜逛Mop:

I remember in elementary school we learned an essay called “tiaoshangong”.
My feelings then were not very strong. After all, I was still small.
Now when I see this post, my feelings are very strong.
Maybe us normal people cannot hope for much,
but I really really want to change this immutable/unchanging society.

看了几年没注册:

Last year I went to Huashan. I also saw those porters. I heard that carrying a load up is only 30 yuan.
My feeling is: You can give me 300 yuan and I would not do it. Give me 3000 yuan and I still could not do it.
I was so tired from walking up empty-handed I was choking.

江南牛:

Even the worse beggars on the streets can get 9 kuai a day. 72-years-old and still selling his labor like this, this integrity is worth people’s admiration and I have been moved. Brothers and sisters who go there for vacation and run into this old man must do what you can to help him financially.

晕,起个名字那么难:

Do you hate him? Let him come to China then, China is hell.
Do you love him? Let him come to China then, China is heaven.

散叶清音:

On Wudangshan there are also this kind of old porter, very old…however I think his price is even lower…I have even seen a one-legged porter…working to earn his son’s school fees…everyone salute them…poor people.

china-one-legged-porter

slsbaby:

This is the “tiaoshangong” of Taishan [Mount Tai in Shandong province]. At the time, their panting sounds could be heard from far away, it felt like the sound of nearing death.
He would have to steady himself for awhile after walking a bit.
At the time, I really wanted to help him…but “tiaoshangong” like him are so many.
Carrying two boxes/cartons of water up 1500 meters to the mountain peak would only earn them 10 kuai.

china-taishan-porter

綉氣静:

When you are complaining about how unsatisfied/unhappy you are, take a look at them, and you will suddenly see the light.

一天兩碗飯:

Touching! I have suddenly realized that my own parents are also old now, and we should remember to look after our parents more.

我是大嘟嘟:

Labor is the most glorious. I think the lou zhu buying him a ticket was appropriate than giving him money. Giving him money is not respecting him, but buying him a ticket to ride together is holding him in high regard.

Me_Naruto:

Highlight!

old-chinese-man-porter-huashan-shaanxi-niubi

No comments:

Post a Comment